About Me

My photo
Washington, DC, United States
I'm Shandi. I hope you like it here. I don't say much with words...but instead I speak to you with music, images, and by showing you everything i love in art and fashion. if you follow me, i will follow back and we can feed off of eachother. i love comments and feedback. thank you for coming. please stay.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Runway Wednesday: Anne-Sofie Madsen: Maori Collection



Anne-Sofie Madsen is a Danish Design School 2009 graduate.  Her "Tiki-Mania-Maori" collection is really great.








” In traditional Maori art the most dominant, mythical motif is the ‘avianised man’ or ‘bird-woman’. The most important visual art forms are plaiting, relief carving and tattoo. My idea in this collection was to combine (and confront) this with classic, European clothing – in order to express the contrasts and borders between what we see as primitive/civilianized, exotic/classic and barbaric/elegant. “



“My idea was not to create bird suits or folk costumes and I decided not to use feathers in the garments and to ›translate‹ the traditional materials of the Maori. I used shoelaces instead of flax strips and exchanged tattooed skin with leather applied on invisible tulle. ” Anne-Sofie Madsen







No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails