About Me

My photo
Washington, DC, United States
I'm Shandi. I hope you like it here. I don't say much with words...but instead I speak to you with music, images, and by showing you everything i love in art and fashion. if you follow me, i will follow back and we can feed off of eachother. i love comments and feedback. thank you for coming. please stay.

Sunday, January 03, 2010

Lazy Sunday: The 90's!

I'm still going through boxes of stuff, and today I found lots of pictures of my friends and me circa 1992-96. Wasn't life amazing then? So easy!

I wanted to put some songs and photos together that remind me of those times.

A time when being a rebel only meant that I had to be sure to remove my black wet n' wild lipstick and put on a hoodie to over my crop top before I got home. When the walk home from school was the best time of the day because we got to make a stop at the park on the way to smoke a cig and tag the benches...we thought we were really cool. Nights were spent jamming to the red hot chili peppers, cranberries and NWA while we talked about boys, the stuck up skanks from school and what we were going to do on the weekends.

Weekends were even better...roller skating rinks, the mall, buses to Berkeley, shitting around at Dan Foley Park, Misty's swimming pool, watching boys play basketball at Cooper, walking to Vallejo plaza to see how much make up we could steal from K-mart, watch movies at the theater and eating at the burrito truck on the corner....man, I really miss the good times.








The 90's
You're a 90's kid if:
You've ever ended a sentence with the word "PSYCHE!"

You can sing the rap to "The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air"

You remember when Kurt Cobain, Tu Pac, River Phoenix, and Selena died.

You know that "WOAH" comes from Joey from "Blossom" and that "How Rude!" comes from Stephani from "Full House"

You remember when it was actually worth getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons.

You got super excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.

You were inspired by "The Babysitter's Club" to start your own babysitting company.

You remember reading "Goosebumps"


You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, wax off"


You have pondered why Smurfette was the only female smurf.


You took plastic cartoon lunch boxes to school.


You danced to "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls, Females: had a new motto, Males: got a whole lot gay-er.


You remember the craze, then the banning of slap bracelets and slam books.


You still get the urge to say "NOT" after (almost) every sentence...Not...


Where in the world is Carmen San Diego? 


Captain Planet.


You knew that Kimberly, the pink ranger, and Tommy, the green Ranger were meant to be together.


When playing power rangers with friends you fought over who got to be who


You remember when super nintendo's became popular.


"I've fallen and I can't get up"


You remember going to the skating rink before there were inline skates


Two words... Trapper Keeper.


You never got injured on a Slip 'n' Slide


You wore socks over leggings scrunched down


You remember boom boxes vs. cd players


You remember New Kids on The Block when they were cool


You knew all the characters names and their life stories on "Saved By The Bell"


You played and/or collected "Pogs"


You watched the original Care Bears, My Little Pony, and Ninja Turtles


All your school supplies were "Lisa Frank" brand


You remember when the new Beanie Babies were always sold out.


You used to wear those stick on earings, not only on your ears, but at the corners of your eyes.

You remember a time before the WB.


You've gotten creeped out by "Are You Afraid of the Dark?"


You know the Macarena by heart.


"Talk to the hand" ... enough said


You thought Brain woud finally take over the world


You remember when everyone went slinky crazy.
















I feel real good after all that.  How about you?  Is there something from the 90's you remember and want to share?  Leave a comment!

Apple iTunes


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails